Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY F850EXR IN THAT IT WORKS PERFECTLY

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY F850EXR IN THAT IT WORKS PERFECTLY AT HOME BUT
EVERY TIME I GO OUT I CANNOT TAKE PICTURES IN THE PORTRAIT MODE AS THE SCREEN IS BLANK WHILE THE LANDSCAPE MODE IS OK AND AS SOON AS I GET BACK HOME ALL IS OK AGAIN
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. A blank LCD screen - without even so much as Menu items appearing on it - is usually a sign of something seriously wrong with a camera, and to be taken quite seriously.Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again. You also might want to try a Factory Settings Reset. It has the drawback of wiping out all individual configurations you might have put on the camera... though, I must add, pictures stored on the camera are not affected and are not erased either, at all. Just settings.If that sounds like something you'd like to try, let me know and I will give you instructions. Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again. How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YES PLEASE LET ME HAVE DETAILS ABOUT A FACTORY SETTINGS

RESET

OK, do this: 1. press MENU/OK.2. use the left-arrow to go to the tab3. look for 'RESET' as an option, when you reach it, use the right-arrow to select it, highlight the YES option or approve the reset, and press MENU/OK. Let me know if that helps. Thanks.