Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I am getting focussing problems with my canon 450d. when it

I am getting focussing problems with my canon 450d. when it is set at af. manual focussing is perfect. can you help?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you remove the battery and hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release. This removes all residue power which can cause this.
Then put the battery back in, turn on the Camera and tell me if it now auto focuses please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it still doesn't focus

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Peter,
you have already done the bulk of elimination by trying multiple lens and resetting the firmware in addition to cleaning it.
It confirms the problem which is the imaging chip on the camera. The camera uses this to detect when the picture is doubled (blurred) and alters the focus accordingly. This chip is not functioning correctly and this is why its not focusing, yet does work in manual model (as your doing the focusing).
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have the mainboard replaced (where the chip resides). It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at know cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.