Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

My Panasonic DMC-G1 camera serial number WE9HB0015119 is stuck

my Panasonic DMC-G1 camera serial number WE9HB0015119 is stuck in self timer mode despite the drive mode lever position. The camera can only be operated in self timer mode and this is displayed in the viewfinder and LCD screen whatever position is selected in the drive mode lever. Can you suggest how to correct this fault?
With thanks for your kind help,
Tom.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I suggest first, that you reset the camera to factory defaults. Plus other measures detailed below, which might help also... but if you don't know the Factory Settings Reset procedure, let me know...: Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again. Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again. How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The panasonic camera handbook doesn't give clear instructions on how to reset the camera to factory defaults.

The batteries have been freshly charged and the camera is clean.

The camera has been used outdoors on rainy days in the past and also by the seaside in the past.

The camera was purchased on 14.02.2010.

It hasn't been dropped, or subject to a shock during this time.

Thanks for helping,

Tom.

Its age, and getting it wet or at least severely damp or exposed to humidity, suggests that this failure may perhaps be a genuine failure of the electronic workings, and somewhat to be expected.
Have you tried doing the 'remove batteries overnight' reset? I recommend it. It might have a chance of getting the normal degree of functions back.

As for a Factory Reset:
Set the camera's Mode to PAS or M (i.e. Manual Mode) on the mode dial.
Then go to the SETUP menu, the menu marked with a spanner wrench icon, and look for the RESET or RESET ALL option, choose it, activate it, approve it if prompted.

Let me know if that and the overnight-batteries-removed reset does - or does not - help with the problem, please. I will have more advice if it doesn't work - and I like to hear when things do work. Thanks.