RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have a Canon Digital IXUS 900TI purchased 9 years ago....it

Customer Question

I have a Canon Digital IXUS 900TI purchased 9 years ago....it has been brilliant and robust throughout the years but unfortunately today all the photos taken were washed out....the flash making a slightly different noise.....can it be repaired ?. The retailer by phone suggested ditching it and buying a new camera.
Advice please
DM
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Canon has had this problem a number of times before, but, has really only owned up to it with one group of cameras a number of years ago. I have an older A75 that can just be given a little smack to restore operation.Unfortunately, the symptoms do indicate that there is a problem with the ccd (the light sensitive chip that produces the image)or the connection to it, Canon repair is really the only option and while your camera is not on the list of cameras Canon's on free repair program, the information at the links below does fully explain the problem and tells how Canon handled it. Canon UK stopped acknowledging the issue about a year earlier than the US. Since more and more newer models have the identical problem the info may give you some leverage with Canon. You are now the 3rd person in a three month period, with a that I have advised of this problem. Click on or copy and paste the link into your browser http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024801e74fehttp://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.htmlCanon UKhttp://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/repair_information.aspx Note: While it is possible to have your camera repaired, may not be cost effective for you. Considering the age and present value of this camera, paying the cost of having it repaired , approximately £70 really depends on how attached to the camera you are. The standard "rule of thumb" is if the repair cost is greater than 50% of the value of the camera, it is not worth it. A good used or refurbished Canon ixus 900 can be purchased for as low as £25 online. Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Canon informed me that they do not have the parts for the above repair which is very disappointing so I've bought another digital camera ..I've stayed with Canon but paid half the price of my original.

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
The value of point and shoot digital cameras drops almost as fast as cell phones these days. You made a good choice.