Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I purchased may Olympus EP-3 brand new 3 years ago. The lense

Customer Question

I purchased may Olympus EP-3 brand new 3 years ago. The lense with the kit is an M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm which gave excellent results. Suddenly the camera has ceased working and I now get the message "Please check the status of a lense" accompanied by a warning sound.I've tried cleaning the contacts etc but to no avail. Help please.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Contacts between lens assembly and camera body should be cleaned gently, with a clean dry soft cloth... to avoid rubbing off the delicate coating on the contacts. Clean the contacts on both the camera body and the lens assembly, when you do clean them. Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again. Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again. How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time. How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it. Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Russel for your sage advice. To answer your questions, my camera is five years old, has not been subject to shock, has been operated under normal UK temperatures and humidity conditions. It has never got wet and has never been used in hostile environments.

So I am now going to carefully follow your suggestions and will report back on results in due course. Thank you again and please accept my apologies for this tardy reply occasioned by an unwelcome flu-like lurgy which has now thankfully abated.

George A.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
No problem, George. Hot weather is hard on everybody, and I comprehend that you didn't get back to me sooner for good reasons. Let me know how it goes and how it turns out, in due course, and at your convenience. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've followed you advice to the letter Russell. So far no joy. However, there's still one of your tips I still have to explore. I have yet to try a new battery which I will order shortly and I'll be in touch later to inform you of results.

George

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Sounds like a good idea to try that. Let me know how it goes, when you know and at your convenience.