Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

An Olympus OM-D E-M1, firmware very 2.0I have lost the connection

An Olympus OM-D E-M1, firmware very 2.0
I have lost the connection between automatic lenses and the camera. Older manual lenses work normally.
There is an image von the screen until the lens is engaged. It worked sporadically for a couple of days until shopping completely. I am assuming is an electrical contact problem but......
The contacts have been cleaned.
All suggestions gratefully received!
Thanks in advance,
Eon MacDougald
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I suspect, hopefully, that what you have is a power-distribution problem. The power provided by the camera's battery may be being insufficient to support a lens that takes power from the camera body. This could be for any of several reasons, which would be addressed as follows: Try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again. How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time. How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it. Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the camera and lenses are between 2 and 6 months old. The battery has been tried on full charge several times to no effect.

The camera has been reset to factory settings; it hasn't been dropped ot got wet; the contacts have been cleaned.

I think all that is left is to send it back to Olympus for repair....which I will do tomorrow.

Thanks,

Eoin

It might doubtfully be a battery failure, unusual if the battery/batteries are still as new as several months old, and only possible if only *one* battery when used produces the symptoms. But sending it to Olympus America is reasonable - and should be cost-free owing to warranty coverage (which is helped by your having taken good care of it - being careless with one's camera can void the warranty.) If this completes the case as far as you are concerned, please rate my Answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.