RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

Have a problem with a Fujifilm Finepix S8200 bridge camera.

Have a problem with a Fujifilm Finepix S8200 bridge camera. It won't stay powered on. When it is switched on, the screen comes on momentarily but then it powers off. Batteries are fully charged, contacts are clean. Screen stays on if the camera is put into the firmware update mode - message says latest firmware is installed. Can yu sugest anything.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Have you tried turning the camera on with the memory card removed? If not please do do and let me know the result. Also, does the lens extend or attempt to extend when you power the camera on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Without a memory card, the camera did power on & after re-inserting the card, the camera powered on. The camera goes into setup asking for language, date & time to be set like first time use. Can take a photo but when zoom is operated, the camera powers off - when switched back on it asks for language, date etc. After switching on a few times the camera powers off when ok is pressed after setting the date etc. Lens does not extend at any time.

Bob

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
The symptoms indicate a possible failure on the main board, but, the fact that the lens does not extend and the attempt to zoom shuts the camera down, means that a lens error is the most likely main cause of the malfunction. To make sure that poor contact is not causing the issue, since you are positive that the batteries start out good. Remove them from the camera and clean the metal battery contacts inside of the battery compartment and on the battery with a q-tip and alcohol. The connection is very critical and a very small amount of residue or dust can inhibit the power transfer. Also, check how well the battery door shuts and if necessary adjust the metal contacts by gently prying them with a small screw driver to increase the tension.It is also a known issue with a number of cameras using AA size batteries that they tend to require a little more power (lens movement uses the most) as they age due to deteriorating parts and surface residue. That is why the connection is so critical The only other suggestion that I have is to try a set of high power lithium AA batteries. They have a higher power output. This has solved this issue about 55% of the time. If the above does not solve the issue please continue as it is very likely that the problem is a lens error. Since it does not extend correctly it does not make it to the correct sensor point probably due to an obstruction like a grain of sand or residue build up. A lens position error will halt the camera process the error. Lens errors are a common problem. Dirt can get into the gears or the lens can become misaligned from being carried in pockets, purses or at the beach. The two suggestions below may resolve the issue.Make sure your Camera has new, fully charged batteries and it is in recording mode.Try compressed air. With a fine tip can of dry compressed air from an auto so office store (not a blow dryer) and set the tip between the lens turret and the camera body and turn on the air while moving the tip around the lens. It should remove all dust and sand. Turn the camera on and it should function fine. If not, you can try the fixes below. With newer cameras I am usually hesitant to suggest these options since they include some more extreme procedures that may cause further damage if not done correctly, but since your camera is older, they may save you an expensive repair bill. The links below give step by step DIY instructions on troubleshooting and attempting to fix this problem. The lens structure of these compact cameras is the same so the examples do apply to this unit. These procedures are effective about 60% of the time. Click on or copy and paste the links into your browser. LENS FIX 1 LENS FIX 2 Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If you require additional information, please use the Reply to ExpertTab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange iscomplete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate or has provided a reasonable alternative solution, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent. Thank you
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience: 30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.