Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Canon Legria HF200 Camcorder. My camcorder will let me record

Customer Question

Canon Legria HF200 Camcorder. My camcorder will let me record in MXP mode onto a 16 GB SDHC class4 card but will not let me record above XP+ mode on a 32GB card Class 10. Can I change this. Regards James
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Please tell me what error message you get, or what happens, when you attempt to record in a mode above XP+ mode, onto a Class 10 card.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message I get is "Cannot record movies in MXP/FXP mode on this memory card"
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I presume that you do not get a red 'SD' card logo on the Legria's screen at the time the error message appears.
What the manual says is, that means you cannot record movies on a Speed Class 2 memory card, and must have one that is Speed Class 4 or higher.
Perhaps Class 10 is beyond its specifications, and the error message may be wrong but indicates what is essentially the case: 'cannot record on this card' ?
But that would depend, basically, upon whether you can record any movies, in lower quality modes, on those cards.
I presume the memory cards you have tried are 'genuine', not bootleg or somehow mislabeled as Class 10 but really Class 2.
Or, ultimately, you may possibly have a defective camcorder, in the memory slot handling if in no other respect. How new is it? if less than a year old, Canon should repair-service it for you for free. Let me know if that is the case... and I'm interested to know how this case turns out, once it has a solution for sure.