RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have a Canon IXUS 75 camera which suddenly will not turn

I have a Canon IXUS 75 camera which suddenly will not turn on. Have even bought a new battery but it still will not work.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Have you tried turning the camera on with the memory card removed? If not, please do so and if it turns on please let me know. If it still does not turn on connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable and let me know if there is any response from the camera.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I have tried the camera having taken out the memory card and also have connected the camera to the computer but have had no response from either.

Regards,

Evelyn

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
With the memory card out and the battery in press and hold the menu button for 5 seconds. This may bring up the Canon initialization message. If not please continue and repeat this after performing the next step. It is quite possible that the batteries or the connection are the issue. To make sure that poor contact is not causing the issue, since you are positive that the batteries start out good. Remove them from the camera and clean the metal battery contacts inside of the battery compartment and on the battery with a q-tip and alcohol. The connection is very critical and a very small amount of residue or dust can inhibit the power transfer. Also, check how well the battery door shuts and if necessary adjust the metal contacts by gently prying them with a small screw driver to increase the tension. Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I tried all those things but nothing happened. I have been told that my camera is old at 7 years, could that be the problem although I would have thought that cameras last longer than that.

Anyway is there another solution I can try to make it work?

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately,there are no other user fixes for this problem. It sounds as though you have gotten quite a bit of good use from this camera. This is really exceptional since at 7 or 8 years many of the electrical components in units of this type, due to the smaller and smaller size, begin to deteriorate and become erratic. There is a very practical aspect that can in many cases be overlooked or even resisted because while life expectancies of people appear to continuously increase, the exact opposite is true for most consumer equipment. 20 years ago, if you bought a camera, the expectation that it would last at least 10 or more years was reasonable and even a conservative estimate. Unfortunately, like cell phones, mp3, & computers, the useful life is decreasing at what seems to be an exponential rate for digital cameras. That is one of the reasons that I do this. While I do not mind picking up a little extra money, my main reason for being here is to help people to extend the usefulness of these products in order to "beat the system". I have a personal dislike for "planned obsolescence". The big problem is that some things really are at the end of their lifespan and 7 years for your 2007 model is pretty good compared to the current 2 year expectation (5-6 when made when yours was). For all practical purposes, it is time for a replacement. I have researched this issue extensively over the past two years and unfortunately, because the industry standard for the useful life span of digital cameras has almost dropped to that of cell phones (2 years or less) the companies even stop making replacement parts after 3 - 5 years. If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent. Thank you
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience: 30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.