RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

My elderly Nikon D50 has started to over expose all images

My elderly Nikon D50 has started to over expose all images regardless of which mode the shot is taken in. virtually all of the image is a white out with the exception of a vertical line of normal exposure on the left of image.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Is the result the same with a different lens attached? Have you performed a "hard reset" (The reset button)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is the same with different lenses and yes I have performed a 'hard reset'. Don't want to have to buy a new camera!

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, if the reset did not restore the camera view but you are able to view menu icons and playback and view previously recorded images, from before the problem started, it is most probable that what you have described indicates a problem with the ccd (the light sensitive chip that produces the image).You can contact Nikon support directly by using the information at the link below http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-And-Repair.page Or the alternate repair service belowhttp://www.unitedcamera.com/nikon-d50/#ShowSelections While it is possible to have your camera repaired, if the parts are available, considering the age and present value of this camera, paying the cost of having it repaired , approximately $150 really depends on how attached to the camera you are, but may not be very cost effective. The standard "rule of thumb" is if the repair cost is greater than 50% of the value of the camera, it is not worth it. A good used or refurbished D50 body can be purchased for about $95 to $145. Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent. Thank you