Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have an Olympus camera model 'mu' mini digital. On my pc

Customer Question

I have an Olympus camera model 'mu' mini digital. On my pc (Windows 7) I have installed the "Olympus Master" program which came with the camera. I have a connecting cable from camera to USB port, but when I try to transfer pictures from the camera, a "no connection" message appears, on both the camera and the PC. What could be the cause please?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Try a different USB port. USB ports are supposed to be all alike, but often vary a bit in actual capability. Try several different other USB ports, really... but, primarily try the USB port farthest from the first one you tried where the connection failed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried all the USB ports on my computer, but with the same, negative result. By the way, I bought a new connecting cable, but no difference

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again. Try the camera on a different computer, also, at least once, if possible. How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it. Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for a variety of suggestions! The camera is about 10 years old, bought originally for my daughter. It has not suffered any of the hazards you mentioned. I tried on a different computer, a laptop with windows Vista but with no success, but that may have been my unfamiliarity with that system. However, almost by chance I tried some newly taken pictures using 'Photo Gallery' on THIS PC, and it worked! So I conclude that the fault may be with the Olympus Master program, despite the fact that until recent months it had been satisfactory. I may try uninstalling the Olympus program & then re-installing from the disc. Thank you for all your help! "Over and out" as radio hams say.

I'm glad to hear that the camera has been well-cared-for.Yes: definitely uninstalling the Olympus Master program (I admit I have not heard of that name before) then restarting the computer it was installed on, then after the computer as restarted, re-installing the Olympus program, may be just what the situation needs. (Do so, without the camera being involved at the time. Having the camera hooked up to the computer during that process could impede the benefits of such an uninstall-restart-reinstall.) If this completes the case, please rate my Answer, so the case may be closed. Thanks - and, good luck.