RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

My canon e o s 500d shutter button will only work in A-DEP

My canon e o s 500d shutter button will only work in A-DEP mode ,there is no error displayed hope you can help
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Hi,To set a good reference point, if you have not already done so, reset the camera to the default settings using the instructions below.Put the mode Dial in PPress MenuSelect the 3rd Wrench TabArrow down to Clear SettingsPress SetSelect Clear all SettingsPress SetSelect OKPress SetAllow the process to complete and please let me know the result as this may clear up the issue. Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that did not work ,I took the lense off and then pushed the shutter it then worked but when I put the lense back on same problem
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
When the lens is mounted, does the camera focus or at least attempt to, when you press the shutter button halfway?
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
If you set the AM/M switch to M, will the shutter fire?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I fires in m mode but still not on amAlso when In m mode it does not focus
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does not focus properly in m mode it will zoom but not focus
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
In M mode the focus is manual so symptoms are pointing to a problem with the lens.What is the lens designation (zoom focal length in mm)? In AM mode does it try to focus (hunt back and forth) or not move at all?
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Also, in M mode, are you able vary the focus ring to attain focus?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
58mm and no I can not focus and it is not hunting or trying to focus
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Gearing has broken or has slipped out of alignment. Unless you are accustom to working with this type of mechanism, self repair is not possible. You will need to send the lens to Canon for evaluation and repair. You can find a repair shop at the link below: http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/repair.aspx Service Center Price Guidehttp://www.canon.co.uk/images/UK%20RCC%20Service%20Costs_tcm14-1174182.pdf If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent. Thank you