Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I have a IXUS210WHICH WILL NOT WORK AS THELENS IS FIXED IN

Customer Question

I have a IXUS210WHICH WILL NOT WORK AS THELENS IS FIXED IN AN OUTWARD POSITION AND THERE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A WAY TO FREE IT
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Look at the lens straight on, does it look centered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That could mean you need a new part then, just in case lets check anyway.
While holding the power button gently push the lens to the side.
Test this with each of the 4 sides, if it is off center to one side doing this should get it to retract while holding the power button.
If you hear a click while doing it do not worry that is normal.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this does not solve the problem
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
What happened when you tried it?
How old is the camera? Did you get an extended warranty?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing happened. I am not sure how old the camera is probably 4-6 years NomI did not get an extended warranty
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
From what you are describing the zoom unit in the lens assembly has failed and needs to be replaced. It is what extends and retracts the lens. In this model it is part of the lens assembly so to replace it you need to replace the lens assembly. Unfortunately they are no longer sold so the only way to get it is off of eBay or from the same model camera that is broken due to a different problem. A local shop would normally charge an hours labor for this repair, the price of labor depends on the shop. For about the same price though you can usually replace the camera so some people decide to do that instead. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.