Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have a Canon EOS 450D. Last week I transferred photos to

I have a Canon EOS 450D. Last week I transferred photos to my laptop successfully. At that time I was using Windows 9 on my pc. At the weekend I loaded Windows 10 on my pc. I then took further photos on my camera and tried to download those pictures again to my pc. However I have tried on a number of occasions without success. What happens is that when I turn the camera on to 'on' it comes on, says 'Busy' then switches off completely.
Is it possible my change to windows 10 means that I'm unable to transfer photos? I also tried taking the card from the camera and putting it in the pc. I got absolutely no response.
Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated
Brian Crouch
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To check Brian, even with the camera not connected to the computer, if you turn the camera on, it says busy then turns off.
Is this correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's correct

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, that has nothing then to do with the Computer Brian its the camera as the computer is not involved when its not connected.
remove the memory card from the camera and start the camera without it.
What then happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the camera instruction book it says to get everything set up for transfer before entering the cable into the pc. However when I do the camera comes on momentarily with a message saying 'BUSY' then immediately switches off.

I have done as you suggested and the camera is saying busy but is not turning itself off. If I also press a button on the Function Dial a message comes up saying 'This Function is not selectable in the current shooting mode'

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this is only a fault with the camera, not with the computerCan you remove the battery from the cameraHold the shutter button down for 60 seconds, then release.Then connect the battery and turn it on and tell me if this still happens please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Held the shutter down for 60 secs then released, connected the battery and turned it on. There was no 'BUSY' message. However before this I noticed that the camera was connected to the pc but when I disconnected it the 'BUSY' message disappeared. I then took a photo with no problems.

Then connected up to pc again and as soon as the cable was inserted to the pc a 'BUSY' message came up and the camera turned off.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so it is only when it IS connected to the computer this happens? As you have told me it happens when it was not connected to the computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe that was the case earlier on. However there is no way to look back

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok no problem.but now with it not connected to the computer it is operating fine correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The camera is working fine but I still cannot load photos onto pc

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now connect it to a different USB port on the computer.Then press the windows key + E and then click on computerDo you then see the camera there?I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean key + E. On the pc?

I won't take up the option of your doing it remotely though, thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The widows key is the key with the windows logo on it and the E key is the key with E on itYou need to press them both
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have done that

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok.. and the results?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ritchie

I've no idea how but the photos have transferred from the camera to the pc.

Thanks for your help and as I say I don't know how but they are there and wouldn't be without your help.

Brian

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
By doing my instructions BrianYou do not need to understand why we were doing it, only that you had to do them and you did :)Good work!If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you