RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have an EOS 7D camera (4 years old so mark 1 I think) and

I have an EOS 7D camera (4 years old so mark 1 I think) and a 100 - 400 f 4.5-5.6L IS USM lens (5 years old so again mark 1 I think). I'm wondering about a 1.4X (or perhaps 2X) teleconverter but read something which suggested that auto focus wouldn't work etc. Is there a Canon product which does work to extend my sense to (I guess) 560mm or longer?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Both the 1.4 & 2x extenders(model III) offered by Canon will give you the result that you are looking for. Please see the information at the link below by selecting "Supplies & Accessories", then verify it by selecting "Compatible Products" (your lens is in the list). The same item should be available in the UK. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_100_400mm_f_4_5_5_6l_is_ii_usm#SuppliesAndAccessories If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my concern is that the AF want work as my lens and camera are both mark I I think?
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
The following quote is from the 2x extender's description. "Designed to extend a lenses focal length by a factor of 2x, the Canon Extender EF 2X III delivers optical performance on par with the finest Canon super telephoto lenses. It delivers seamless communication among camera body, lens and extender, and features coatings to minimize ghosting, flare and chromatic aberration." I have always seen both Canon and Nikon to be pretty trustworthy when addressing compatibility claims. I may have some concerns with 3rd party products. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent. Thank you