RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have a fuji finepix s 4500. The focus no longer works. All

Customer Question

I have a fuji finepix s 4500. The focus no longer works. All distant details are blurred.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Hi, First, use the attached instructions to make sure that the Macro mode is set to OFF. Please let me know the result. Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.If you require additional information, please use the Reply to ExpertTab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange iscomplete and you are satisfied.If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No change. I guess camera sensor is finished.

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
When you reset the camera, did it appear to go through a lens re positioning cycle? Not all models do, so, try a hard reset: Remove the batteries & memory card and switch the camera to the ON position. Allow the camera to sit idle for 30 minutes. Then, switch the camera to OFF, re install the batteries and memory card, switch it on and see if the focus improves. Please let me know the result.If you require additional information, please use the Reply to ExpertTab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange iscomplete and you are satisfied.If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tried removing batteries memory card resetting several times. Camera tries and fails to focus. Any other ideas ?

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that the sensor is bad, but it seems more likely, if only distant objects are out of focus, that a lens component is either out of alignment or not moving correctly. While I do not suggest this often, if you decide not to have this unit repaired and are prepared to purchase a new camera, give this one a "wack" on the bottom, with the palm of your hand, with the lens closed, then, one with it open. This may force realign the element.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert
Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is
complete and you are satisfied.

If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.