RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

Ive just dropped my canon powershot sx220 hs on my kitchen

Hi, Ive just dropped my canon powershot sx220 hs on my kitchen floor and now when i turn it on the lens wont open and it tells me 'lens error, restart camera'. But restarting doesnt work!! is this repairable???
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Try the steps below first:Put the camera switch in the Off position. Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing. If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens, the problem should be easy to fix. This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was accidentally turned on while the lens is restricted.Next, apply gentle pressure down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest. You should hear a "click" as it pops back into place. Try powering the camera on.If the lens doesn't extend at all or it extends, and then retracts again, do the following. Turn the camera off. Take the camera in one hand and with the other gently take one part of the lens and gently move it round in a circular movement. Do so with both sections of the lens. You will hear a "click" as it pops back in place. Power the camera on.Next, try to pull and twist on the largest ring of the lens while turning the camera on. Listen for a "click". If at first the focus seems to be off, turn the camera on and off and take lots of pictures, close ups and distance. Focus should slowly start improving.If the steps above do not work or there appears to not be enough power, depending on how long you have been using the rechargable battery, it may be time for a new one since as digital cameras begin to age they become more sensitive to the power level.Since the lens does not make it to the correct sensor point due to it being forced in, as noted above, some physical manipulation is necessary. A lens position error will halt the camera start up process. Lens errors are a common problem. With newer cameras I am usually hesitant to suggest these options since they include some more extreme procedures that may cause further damage if not done correctly, but, since yours was dropped, they may save you an expensive repair bill or having to replace it. The links below give step by step DIY instructions on troubleshooting and attempting to fix this problem. You can disregard references to sand blockages as the cause. An older Canon camera is used to demonstrate these procedures but, the lens structure of these compact cameras is the same so the examples do apply to this unit. These procedures are effective about 60% of the time. Click on or copy the link location and paste them into your browser. http://www.e18error.com/repair.html http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2007/12/fixing-lens-error-on-digital-camera.html Note: Considering the age and present value of this camera, paying the cost of having it repaired , approximately $155 really depends on how attached to the camera you are. The standard "rule of thumb" is if the repair cost is greater than 50% of the value of the camera, it is not worth it. A new powershot sx220 hs can be purchased for as low as $125 and good used ones are available online for under $42 to $65 Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for replying. however the lens wont open at all so i cannot get a hold on any part of the lens to manipulate. and there are no gaps....unfortunately!!
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Please be aware that resolving this issue can take multiple attempts. With some units that have had this problem it has taken me up to 6 or 7 hours of manipulation, over a few days, to make the lens move freely. To be totally honest, the last one that I fixed was in the same condition as yours. It was necessary for me to power the camera on and off and use my thumbnail to grab the edge of the lens by the lens opening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ah, okay, ill try to start tweaking and thumb nailing!....lets face it i've nothing to lose, as at present its null and void!! thanks for your tips and hopefully ill be able to remedy it, if not, youve at least given me things to try before i either discard it or take it to repairs. Thanks RUSSTING.