Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

Canon MP630 printer. Far too frequent head cleaning etc that

Canon MP630 printer. Far too frequent head cleaning etc that takes ages (virtually every other time I use it) and it gets through ink cartridges very very quickly. What is the cause and are there any simple solutions? - I'm thinking of binning it otherwise.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To clarify, it regularly asks you to clean the print head in the printer after only a few amount of prints?
And how many prints do the cartridges last for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts cleaning (if that is what is happening - there are prolonged whirring noises) all on its own. The cartridges are only lasting for about 20 copies at the most.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, points to a dirty or faulty print head
Remove the ink cartridges and then remove the print head, there is a lever you use to remove it. This video shows it for the previous model but its the same process for yours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaD___ssgEk
Then with the print head out, soak it in warm soapy water and give it a good clean.
Once done dry it off and put it back in, then put the cartridges back in and tell me how it now operates please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard. I've taken out the print head, cleaned and dried it and put it back. (The link to the video was useful.) I then replaced two of the cartridges that were totally dry. The printer then did its "whirling" presumably setting up the replaced cartridges - what is happening then, is it indeed cleaning the heads?. I have now printed off a couple of pages and all seems well. I will wait to see what happens as I continue to use it. Hopefully the problem is now fixed. If it has not been fixed and I need more help, can I get back to you personally at Just Answer. If so how?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The whirling is the printer getting ready, try it out but if it again fails, your best to replace the printer, a new print head costs more then a new printer (they are made so cheap now days) so I would advise on this.
But, I have marked this question to never close so any issues you can just come here, and post a message, it will come directly to me.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.