Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have just bought my first camcorder, a Canon HF Legria

Hello, I have just bought my first camcorder, a Canon HF Legria r506. But when I play back footage the right hand side of the picture jerks, as though it is trying to catch up. This also happens when I play back the movie on the computer.
I converted the movie file to a VOB file - but it still happens. It's so bad it make the movie nearly unwatchable - please can you tell me what I am doing wrong?!
Thanks,
Merrily
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. There could be one thing wrong, that you yourself could do better, but just one, and even that is probably not the cause of the peculiar and severe problem you describe:- if you are using a slow-speed memory card, to store the recorded video from your new camera, then that might doubtfully cause the problem.Slower-speed memory cards are not recommended for storage of high-quality video taken on a modern camcorder. If your video that shows the problem is stored in the camera's built-in memory, then it's a defective camcorder, period, whether in the image sensor processing or in the memory processing. But what the problem really sounds like, is a problem in the camera itself, with the image sensor, when taking video. I would think it far more likely that you simply have a defective-from-vendor camera, and should take it back promptly for an exchange for another, fully working, camcorder of the same type or equivalent value.(If your camcorder is not new enough to be within the store or vendor's return-exchange policy, then Canon's warranty still applies, and calling 1-800-OK-CANON and putting in a failed-within-warranty claim, would make sense.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Russell,
Actually after I contacted you I did an experiment - I changed the movie mode from AVHD (?) to MP4 and that worked. The picture quality was far inferior, but it played back on my computer smoothly without the jerking. Does this tell you anything about my camera's problem, and how I might be able to return to AVHD quality without the jerking.I am also interested in what you say about the memory card. The Canon I have doesn't come with built-in memory, so I bought this card for it - 'Dot.Foto 64Gb SDXC UHS-1 Class 10 (45Mb/s) card for Canon LEGRIA camcorders.'
Would you say this would be fast enough? And how can you tell how fast a card is?
Please let me know your further thoughts. Many thanks.
45 Mb/s means Forty Five Mega-bits per second. That's the speed of the card you have. It's an adequate speed. 90-odd Mb/s would be better, of course. As for why AVCHD video recording is bad... actually, the question at this point is, IS your AVCHD recorded video defective? does it play back choppy and distorted on your camera? try playback of AVCHD on your camera, and see.If it plays back OK on your camera, then the choppy defective look means, your computer is either overloaded (when you play AVCHD back, it takes a lot of processing capacity, and competing programs will produce the jerking and distortion when the processing isn't fast enough) or of inadequate speed and memory and processor capability. See this page, the first several paragraphs:http://webvideouniversity.com/blog/2009/10/16/how-to-fix-choppy-playback-from-avchd-video-cameras/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it plays back fine on my camera. So I assumed the prob was with my pc.
Thanks for providing that excellent link, I found it most informative. As a result I have downloaded software to convert my video to a less heavy-duty file format, and this now works on my pc.
Next time someone asks you the same question as I did, suggest they change the file format first - rather than suggestiing their camcorder is defective, which only causes PANIC!