Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

EOS 700D: I have taken holiday photos with my EOS 700D and

Customer Question

EOS 700D: I have taken holiday photos with my EOS 700D and they look ok in display immediately after taking, but now some 40 odd images will not display in camara or when data transferred to pc.
I was using a brand new 16 GB mini SDHC memory card in a SD carrier. With hindsight I dont think I formatted the memory card in the camera.
Digital Photo Professional wil not do anything with these files These were photos taken on a once in a lifetime trip to Orkney so I would like to recover them
Malcolm
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Are the photos that cannot be viewed, ones that were previously viewable but now have become un-viewable?If not, then perhaps they always were unviewable. They did not become corrupted, they simply weren't saved or weren't saved to SD card or other storage, in a usable format. Are there actual files there, where one of the unviewable files is listed: that is, is there any file space at all, is the File Size greater than zero?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell
Thanks for your response, to answer your questions:
To my best recollection the subject files were viewable immediately after taking photo but later were un-viewableThese image files exists and have file size varing but around 20Mb each (consistent with viewable files) and have file names that correspond to image number and with "CR2" file type suffix.
Additional Info
I was shooting in RAW.
This memory card holds image files IMG_4187.CR2 through to IMG_4519.CR2, then IMG4520 is not viewable, then IMG-4521 through to IMG 4530 are viewable then IMG_4531 to IMG4580 are NOT viewable, IMG4581 & 4582 are viewable but then from IMG 4520 to IMG4592 are not viewable.
At that point I stopped using this card, it is 9.07 Gb of 16Gb used.
I do wonder if using this new memory card without formatting it in the camera, has perhaps resulted in the camera not fully recognising memory in excess of 8Gb?
I await your thoughts with interest.
Malcolm
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I think you either should format it in the camera prior to use - though really that's an abnormality even if it works as a stop-gap solution, it shouldn't be necessary! - or else simply stop using that card, and for any other card, transfer to computer ASAP in case the problem is really with the camera and it is corrupting files on cards by some fault or other. You may simply have a defective card, in this one case. I hope so, for that's about the most favorable possibility at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell
I have since started to always format any memory card in the camera prior to using.
Current memory card seems to have no problems, it does seem to be problem with just that one card.
I have transfered the images on the effected card to the PC.
Do you have any suggestions as to possible methods to recover the currently unviewable files?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
When an image file is corrupted, it's generally very much gone, like the candle flame that just got snuffed out.What size shows for the unviewable image files? compared to other, adjacent files that were taken at about the same time? - About the same size (range, at least) ?- or, a very different size (probably less large) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell
The subject files are in the same size range as the viable files mostly in the 20-24 Mb range, which gives me some hope that they may possibly be recoverable.
Malcolm
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Good - though I wouldn't be too hopeful in this situation. What file type are the problem files that need to be recovered ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi RussellThe files are all "*.CR2" -Canon Raw image files.
Malcolm
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
There is CR2 file recovery software: http://www.wondershare.net/ad/photo-recovery/?gclid=CIXToOnj0skCFUYWHwodq-ADQw is one example that you could try on those CR2 files. 'RAW' files are sometimes compressed by the camera, sometimes not. If yours are the non-compressed kind of RAW files, there is a much better chance of their being recoverable... but I can not predict that at this point. Try recovering them. Let me know how it goes, please. I want to at least know the success or failure for the sake of future cases like yours.
Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not recovered any of the suspect images yet. I have tried using Wondershare Photo Recovery, Data Recovery Pro, and XAR X. Wondershare and XAR found nothing. However 1 deleted image was recovered when using Data Recovery Pro! which also found the suspect files but has not recovered them.
I will try a few more times and report . Malcolm
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I suspect that further tries, after all that, will not yield anything more, I'm sorry to say.
But it's good that you got one recovered. Try doing them one by one - if you try them in a group, the software, being somewhat inexpensive, may not find anything but 'a group of file identities', which it is not written to do a recovery on.
I'm just guessing that you have had only one success because of some such factor. Hopefully it's not that the files are simply completely lost.