Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Panasonic HC-V100 video camera that will not switch

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic HC-V100 video camera that will not switch on. It worked perfectly the last time it was used for my daughters wedding in May 2015. The battery is charged and I purchased a new battery as a precaution, but It won't switch on even when connected to the mains charger.
Please help as its a fantastic little camera.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again. Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again. How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power. Also, any replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time. How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it. Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I've carried out all your recommendations to no avail. My camera has not been subject to extreme temperatures and both batteries have been checked on a friends camera and show a full charge. I suspect the power button is faulty as it sits lower than the other two adjacent buttons. Is there a way to check or replace the power button please.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
How old is the camera? measured from its date of original purchase.
There is probably no way for you to fix the Power button, if it is indeed broken. Cameras of this sort are delicately made and put together, and not often user-serviceable. You would have to take it to a repair shop, I think, to get it fixed with a certainty of its working again.
Does the camera, aside from not switching On, show any signs of life whatever, such as a 'charge' light when the charger is connected, or anything whatever such as that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Camera is two years old, purchased new and only used very occasionally. Will drop it into my local camera shop for repair.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That makes sense. At two years old, it is out of warranty (unless you bought an Extended Service plan with it when you bought it), and so you would have to pay for the repairs done out of your own pocket, unfortunately. Thank you for making good use of the advisory resources of JustAnswer.com. I hope your experience was such that you will return at another time to this site, to ask another question or questions should you have need.