Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon EOS 1100D which I automate using Canon's API.

Customer Question

I have a Canon EOS 1100D which I automate using Canon's API. It seems to have stopped connecting to my PC and debugging the app shows that it detects the camera, it connects to the camera but at the point it opens a session, it just hangs.
If I try and open a second session it correctly fails and tells me that a session is already open and if I disconnect the camera, it also tells me the device is disconnected. It just will not open a session any longer.
I have tried Canon's EOS Utility and it too hangs if the camera is on when the app is launched. If I switch it, and put the app on first followed by the camera, the third option to remote shoot never becomes available.
Things I have tried:
1. Reseting the camera completely via the Setup menu.
2. Reflashing the firmware to 1.05 (it already had 1.05 so I flashed over the top)
3. 3 different USB leads
4. 2 different PCs
5. Another 3rd party app that also uses the API and also fails at the session creation stage
6. Updated the EOS utility to v2.
As the API connection would all be software based I am at a loss to understand what could be causing part of it to work and part of it to fail. The camera functions normally and as expected in all other ways except via the API call.
If anyone has any advice on other things I can try, I would be very grateful.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.
Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with over 20years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today. Most of the time, I have found this to be caused by a broken connection to the circuit board. This will need to be repaired by the factory. Or, you can use an external card reader to download the files to your computer. This works just fine and won;t cost you $300 to get repaired. Please provide a positive Rating so that I may be credited for my efforts. If I can be of further assistance, please ask rather than leave a negative response. Thank You
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, but I find your answer to be rather flippant. I have spent hours trying to overcome this issue and whilst it may work 'just fine' to collect images from the device, it by no means allows the camera to be automated for the shot to be taken.Every other function on the camera works just as it is intended and a faulty circuit board would inevitably, in my opinion, show up in others ways rather than one very specific instance.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.
Not at all. all it takes is one broken data transfer connection and the camera will not be able to communicate with the computer. I've seen this happen on dozens of cameras and the only way to correct this problem is to disassemble the camera to either repair the PC connection or replace the circuit board it is mounted on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In parallel to this I have today managed to source a 450D model to test this against and it exhibits exactly the same behaviour as the 1100D, crashing in the same apps at the same point.Thank you but I will not be exploring the faulty circuit board avenue any further.
Expert:  Readyrmca replied 11 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I've been reading over your previous conversation. I've got a couple of things to add that you might try if you haven't already. First, try connecting it without storage media installed in the camera. Also, depending on what user accounts you have on your computer, you may need to run the program as an administrator or log on to your computer as an administrator. To do this right click on the application and select "run as administrator". As I look at the steps you've already taken, the issue doesn't seem to be with the camera in my opinion. It seems like a software issue having to do with read/write permissions on the USB bus on the computer. Let me know how this goes and if still having the same issue I've got one more option that we can try.
Make sure to try both removing the storage media from the camera and running the software as an administrator both at the same time. If that does correct the issue, then we take them away one at a time to figure out which one or both is causing the issue.