RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

My Olympus 790 SW (silver) (8 years old) has developed fine

My Olympus 790 SW (silver) (8 years old) has developed fine vertical lines on the images - there are up to 100 on each image. What is the fault and can it be repaired?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Hi,There's about a 10% chance that a reset will clear this issue. You can try it out using the instructions below.In shooting mode hit Menu and then select Reset and select Yes. If the reset does not solve the issue then, unfortunately, the symptoms indicate that there is a problem with the ccd (the light sensitive chip that produces the image)or the connection to it. It could have been caused by a hard impact. Olympus repair is really the only option and while your camera was not on the list of cameras on the free repair program, the information at the link below does explain this progressive problem and tells how other camera makers handled it. You are now the 8th person in a three month period, with a digital camera that I have advised of this problem.http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.htmlNote: As far as the camera itself is concerned, considering the age and present value of this camera, paying the cost of having a repair of this type , approximately $95 really depends on how attached to the camera you are, but is not very cost effective. The standard "rule of thumb" is if the repair cost is greater than 50% of the value of the camera, it is not worth it. Keep in mind that a brand new Olympus 790 SW can be purchased for about $80 and good used ones for under $50.Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.Thank you