Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Camera only shows a bright white screen , no picture and no

Customer Question

camera only shows a bright white screen , no picture and no response from anything on the camera regardless as to which button or dial is used. the camera is a Fujifilm X-TI and
is about 14 month old.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I'm sorry to hear that it is just out of warranty. There are some things to be tried still, though admittedly it sounds rather as if your camera might come out of these efforts in a still-inoperative condition... however, if it is merely in a state of shock from electrostatic discharge, it may be brought back to life by the first thing to try, below: Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight, or perhaps several days and nights (in a case like this). Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again. Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again. How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time. How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it. Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I purchased a new battery fully charged it but still same fault. Camera has been left open in my studio for over a month and contacts cleaned etc but still no results. the camera is 14 months old and has not been subjected to any of the following: dropping, any form of mechanical shock, low temperatures or high temperatures, not got wet or been in sandy or gritty environment. I only use this camera in my studio so it stays in the same environment.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear that, despite the excellent care you have taken of your camera, that it is still 'broken', and out of warranty too.The bright white screen could be a fault of just the screen, but I suspect it is rather a fault of the central processing unit and controlling circuitry inside your camera. This sort of fault will definitely require repair - or replacement - of the camera, depending upon what you should prefer. Let me know what you would prefer, and I will advise you as is appropriate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would prefer to have the camera repaired but than that would depend on the cost. Have you any suggestions as to what kind of figure a repair is likely to cost presuming it is what you suspect and any suggestions for a repair shop as we have non in Southport. Many Thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I have no ability to quote or set charges for repair. That depends upon the shop you go to for repair... so it is good to ask each possibility for repair, what their repair charges will be for your model and for its problem, before committing to servicing at that shop. You are in the UK, in the Southport region in NW England. You have a FujiFilm camera. This means your most likely option is to send it off to FujiFilm UK for repair. The page to initiate that process is here:https://camerarepair.fujifilm.co.uk/and I have to warn you that if you do choose that service option, you will be given an estimate only once they have it in hand and have looked it over... in which case you will be given the choice of either accepting servicing at the estimated cost, or ... I think... having them simply throw the camera away and/or recycle it free of charge to you. If you would prefer to take the camera in person to a shop in e.g. Liverpool, that can be done, and I will get listings for you if so.
Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Russell. I have now decided to purchase a replacement camera, not sure what, but not a Fuji.
Ray Williams.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That might make sense. In the world of digital cameras, the leading names of prestige are Nikon and Olympus, pretty much. But I like to put in a word for Canon, because I've had so much to do with advising about them.
Expect that unless you buy one of the lower-end cameras of those 3 greater names, that you will pay more for more quality, and also, the higher-quality professional DSLR cameras are rather harder to use.
Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com about this matter. I hope your experience was such that you will return at another time to this site, to ask another question or questions should you have need.