Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a EOS 700D that focus OK in P and manual modes,

Hi i have a EOS 700D that focus OK in P and manual modes,
But in A+ and video mode is out of focus is there away to reset this?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Are you photographing the same thing in P or manual mode, that fails to focus in A+ and video mode?Autofocus can fail on certain subjects: low-contrast, or a constantly moving object, or overlapping objects such as an animal behind a cage's mesh/bars. This, without anything being wrong with the camera. How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it. Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell
I got the camera from EBay for Christmas ,advertised with having a few clicks so I don't it's history.
I put the camera on a tripod and took photos and took in P and A+ subject was black background with white paper with writing on it P was in in focus A+ was not in focus ,the video I just hand held the camera on a fixed subject and it is just not in focus.it seams that other modes use the same focus settings as A+ and they are out of focus to *****
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried a Factory Settings Reset on the camera? given its recent purchase, you presumably won't lose too many settings of you own from it, if you try that. And, given it was used previously (rather than being New from the factory) this might be the best thing to try next.In Canon digital cameras, the Factory Settings Reset, or Reset All, is at the end of the listing of options under the Setup menu or menus. (If you want info on this specific camera, just mention that you have tried and not found that Reset All option. Thanks.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell
I found clear settings in the menu and tried it but it didn't clear everything ,I would have expected to have to set time & date etc but it was all still there I took some more photos and they were still the same.l have looked through all the menus and can't find anything that says factory settings??
Thanks Frank
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
When you do a Factory Reset, choice of language, and date/time settings, are not erased. I'm sorry to have to say, your camera is simply 'broken' - it will need either repair or replacement.Do you need referral to a repair facility? if so, consider also whether your camera is worth repairing - since it is not covered by warranty, the charge for repairs will be to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, when I bought it the guy said it had is warranty ,I just wanted to see if l could sort it without sending it away
Thanks Frank
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The guy may have said it had a warranty, but unfortunately, when re-sold by the owner of the warranty, the warranty coverage is not transferable. (Check your Canon warranty statement to be sure of this, but it is the general practice.) So it may have had a warranty for him, but not for you, is unfortunately the truth. Sending it away for repair, warranty or none, may be the only way to deal with the problem. (One important late thought - I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner: Your camera is one that can have different lens assemblys mounted upon it. Have you had this focus problem with only one lens assembly? if so, try another! it could just be the lens assembly. What lens assembly maker and model is it?)(And, remove the lens assembly with camera powered Off, and wipe, gently, the metal contacts on the lens mount of the camera, and on the lens assembly correspondingly, with a clean, dry soft cloth. That sometimes helps with interface problems between lens and camera.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell
It is his shops warranty not the factory one I have tried another lens a70-300 and that did not seam so bad ,I set the camera up on a tripod and took similar photos as before the reset ,the photos were a little better ,we are going visiting today so I will take some more photos that should be a good test for it thanks
Frank
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
All right. I hope it turns out to be the lens not the camera body... that might be less expense to have repaired.Let me know how it turns out. Thanks. (If it turns out well, with a different lens, I shall expect a favorable rating for my work, please.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Russell
looks like I will have to get the camera repaired one way or another I have contacted the supplier but if he dose-not come good could you give me the name of a repair centre please
thanks Frank
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
A repair centre - certainly.That would be in UK, I think - but I don't know what region you're in. I recollect there's one in Colchester last I heard. Would that be nearby to you?Let me know at your convenience and when right. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell
I am in the UK in Lestershire in the Midlands colchester is not near me
Frank
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The address of the central UK Canon Repair Centre is H. Lehm***** *****mitedStoke-on-Trent, G.B.247-249 London Rd.ST4 5AA 01782 413 611 And see this link for repair information: http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/repair.aspx#tab-content2
Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your help
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Good luck with the repair. Thank you for making good use of the advisory resources of JustAnswer.com.I hope your experience was such that you will return at another time to this site, to ask another question or questions should you have need.