Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Canon EOS 650d. My camera will only take videos and not standard

canon EOS 650d. My camera will only take videos and not standard shots.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I presume that your camera has been switched out of Video Mode... what happens then? when you try to take snapshots?Does the screen show the 'video camera' icon disappear, then you switch out of Video Mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
out of video mode still no still shots,video icon not showing on screen
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then it is not that the camera is locked up, but rather that the snapshot or still-photo mode is not saving pictures, I presume.Does it give any error message, say, something about failure to save photo, or the like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
screen shows no image,after taking few shots,is it possible it is me as I am a novice and not camera failure
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Well, as to your having 'driven' the camera wrong... The EOS series is indeed elaborately controllable. It wouldn't be any disgrace to get its controls a little wrong. Try putting the camera into Auto Mode.See if that yields any still pictures, stored onto the memory card.What does that test produce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
auto mode, still no images shown on screen
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Have you gone into Review mode, and checked on the card?Review mode is the mode in which the pictures taken can be seen on the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still no images shown on camera,what happened prior to fault, camera took images of floor without my help but ,then nothing taken again,since.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Taking images of something unexpected and unintended, means (at least when I've had it happen myself) that the camera was On, or was triggered, when you did not intend it to, I think. Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again. Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again. How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time. How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it. Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for the advise Russel,I will try your idea,and renew battery if necessary,care of camera has been good and no mishaps yet.Camera age not known as used when bought in camera shop.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Good. Please try those measures. (How long ago did you buy the camera?)