Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

I have a Canon 50D camera body and three lenses (Canon EF-S

Customer Question

I have a Canon 50D camera body and three lenses (Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS; Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM; Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM) ranging from 9 years old, to new. I've never been happy with the AF on the older lenses but always assumed it was bad technique on my part.
I have recently bought the Focal Pro calibration software from Reikan and after many repeated tests on all three lenses I get a consistent out-of-range micro adjustment values < -20.
Why would all the lenses, old and new, be skewed in the same direction? Does this imply a fault with the camera rather than the lenses? What could the cause of such a fault be? Can it be repaired? How can I change the zero point so that the required adjustment on each lens become in-range? Is the Focal Pro software reliable? Is there standard Canon software to do lens calibration (I've not been able to find any)?
If I send my camera and one lens in to a Canon service centre (I believe the cost will be ~£180) what will they actually do? Is this likely to be a solution for my other two lenses (one of which, the Sigma, is brand new)?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with over 20years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today. If the lenses are all off in the same direction, the problem is most likely in the camera body. Either forward or back-focusing. This requires a software adjustment with model specific software to bring the focus into an acceptable range so that it is possible to fine tune the focus for all lenses. This will need to be done by a Canon repair facility and should correct the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick,Thanks for trying to answer, but can you not see the full text of the question? What I can see of the question in the screen above ends with "consistent out-of-range micro adjustment values". This is only a truncated fraction of what I submitted and doesn't even get to the first question mark. The specific details of my questions would take several pages to answer.