Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Canon PowerShot SX50HS. The lens cover will not shut. I'm told

Customer Question

Canon PowerShot SX50HS. The lens cover will not shut. I'm told on the screen it is a lens error. Will shut down automatically. Restart, but nothing happens. When I switch it on again the same thing happens, just makes a noise as if trying to do something.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Lens errors often require repair of the camera. However, here are some things you can try yourself: Try inserting the edge of a sheet of paper into the crack between the camera's lens assembly and the camera body, then moving it all around the crack. That sometimes frees up the lens, or eliminates grit jammed in that crack. Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again. Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again. How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time. How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it. Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like? Let me know.