Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

MV890 camcorder won't do anything not even charging light.

Customer Question

MV890 camcorder won't do anything not even charging light. Charger giving 8.4v backup battery2.9v anyidea please
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If the batteries have grown old, they may not be holding charge. Rechargeable batteries of the sort used in small electronic devices nowadays, always fail eventually. They either fail to deliver enough power even when charged, or they fail to support enough voltage when under load i.e. when being used. If the charger is giving enough voltage, when measured, the charger is not likely to be the problem. So I'd say, replace the battery/batteries, charge them up thoroughly at the first before trying them for the first time - so as to overcome the slight polarization they often get from sitting unused on a shelf waiting to be bought, or waiting to be used - and see how that works. Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ordered new batteries as suggested, if this is the answer I will feel a bit of a fool, would the charger not have illuminated the charging light whether the battery was OK or not?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Chargers are not designed to test batteries. They only charge them, even if they are polarized, defective, etc., and only gross battery error conditions cause them to indicate a problem. This is for reasons of simple economy: to put testing circuitry into all chargers would be a waste and add greatly to bulk/weight and price.So don't bother yourself too much about it. I hope the new batteries work. Note: The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.