Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I bought a Canon ixus 170 camera in USA last November 2015.

Customer Question

I bought a Canon ixus 170 camera in USA last November 2015. However, last Sun the shutter would not open/close fully so therefore I cannot get a full picture plus the lens is not covered when the camera is switched off. Can you assist please. I reside in Ireland. Thank you for your co-operation as I would be lost without my camera. My e-mail address is:***@******.***
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you remove the battery please then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.Wait 5 minutes, put the battery back in and try to turn it on and use it.Let me know the results pleaseThank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,I did as you advised by taking out the battery etc. and turned the camera on/off a few times but the same problem persists. There is no sign of the shutter working normally. How can the problem be resolved?Kind regards,E PdL
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thankscan you turn it upside down and put it on something that vibrates such as an electric razor or hair clippers.Then power it on and off a few times and tell me if these gets it to function correctly please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
Thanks for your advice. I put the camera on an electric razor for a few times and the shutter moved slightly but it's still stuck half-way open/closed. The camera has been taking beautiful photos before this happened last Sunday and unfortunately the problem is still there.Regards,Eithne
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks It is the internal driver motor that has faulted. this now confirms it I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard for your excellent advice. Do I have to return the camera to Richards Stores in New York or can I send it to Canon in England?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You will need to return it to the place of purchase as they will handle all warranty actions for youYou are most welcome and it was a pleasure working with you, if you need anything else, please let me know.And please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will post off the camera today to USA where it was purchased.
This is my 1st time using this service and I must say it's very professional so well done. I gave you 5 stars.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.