Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon MG7750. During the printer setup I selected

I have a Canon MG7750. During the printer setup I selected wired LAN, but found that my router does not have any spare slots for a LAN cable. How can I get the printer set up for a USB connection?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. 1. Abort or exit the setup routine.2. go into (if you have a Windows PC)Control Paneland intoDevices and Printersand select, then delete, the icon for your MG7750 printer.3. Disconnect the printer from the network... if it was ever connected to it in the first place.4. Restart your computer.5. after the computer is restarted and logged in again, install the printer driver again, this time choosing USB as the connection type. Connect the printer only when prompted to do so. That should work out fine. If it does, please rate my answer. Thanks. (-If you need more info, or help at any point of the above procedure, use Reply To Expert and let me know, please, and I will continue to adivse you.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried this, but it keeps coming back with the message that the printer is not connected. I originally selected used wired LAN connection in the first stages of setting the printer up, before it was connected to the PC, using the options on the printer screen. There does not seem to be a way that I can find to go back on the printer to the screen where I can select use USB connection. Any thoughts? Thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Turn the printer Off, as part of step 4 above.And follow *all* the steps, in order. That's essential. When you are using USB, you see, you don't have to set it up. You just have to get out of the set-it-up-for-networking routines. And restarting the computer and all of the steps I listed, are essential to getting that done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Followed all your steps and repeated them to make sure. When re-installing the printer driver it gets to the point when it says printer not connected - when it is and switched on according to the instructions (same message I had last time).
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I would advise you to go into your printer's settings, and turn Off network access. That might help get the connection working (though honestly I'm almost as puzzled as you are at this point.)Somehow, a solution for this is possible. It needs a bit of work.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
How is the printer connected? via a USB cable from the printer to the computer's USB ports? If so, try a different USB port on the computer. USB ports ought to all be equal, and the same, but in practice, they do not behave that way. Another USB port on the far side of the computer or at a distance from the first one tried, should be tried.