RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

My E-PL3 repeatedly gives the message "check the status of

My E-PL3 repeatedly gives the message "check the status of a lens" for my M-ZUIKO 14-42mm lens but is OK with other lenses. I can't see anything wrong with the lens and, very occasionally, it works all right. Do you have any advice as to what I can do about it? Mike M.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The message that you are referring to indicates that a break in communication occurred. Even a very small lapse will trigger the error. A small amount of film or dirt on the lens mount contacts can cause the communication from the camera to and from the lens. If it is an actual internal component failure in the lens or alignment problem, it will continue to repeat and eventually cease to function. You can clean the contacts with a clean cloth and a little alcohol. Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If the "do it yourself" approach doesn't work out for you and you need conventional repair, please let me know. If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate or has provided a reasonable alternative solution, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russting,Thanks for your reply. It's pretty much what I expected but it helps to have it confirmed that there isn't anything else I should be doing. I'll try giving the contacts a really good clean and if that fails, see if I can get it repaired.