nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Other
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

I have had a canon powershot sx50 hs four years now.

I have had a canon powershot sx50 hs for maybe four years now. Today, it suddenly started to show 'lens error/will shut down automatically/restart camera'. If I remove the battery and replace it after a while, or sometimes just when I turn it on, the screen displays as normal but as soon as I try to zoom in a lot, or at all, it starts making various noises, the lens goes in and out and the message appears.
The camera has not been dropped or otherwise maltreated.
Is it worth trying to get it repaired or should I just accept that I had four good years use and get another?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to justanswer.You are experiencing a common error. Normally this is a problem with the lens extension mechanism that is activated when the camera starts. This can normally be attributed to a dirty camera case or other grit getting into the camera mechanism. Other possible sources are physical jarring during operation or low battery during operation.The fist thing you should do is remove the existing batteries and the memory card from the camera, wait one minute and then put the batteries and the memory card back again into their compartment.Next, turn the camera on. Another possible solution is to blow compressed air around the lens mechanism, or a hair dryer on a no heat setting.Also, you can slide a piece of paper around the lens area and move it around the gaps in an effort to dislodge anything stuck in there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried all that. Turned it on, started OK. As soon as I tried to zoom in more than about 20-fold, error appears and camera shuts down
Then I am afraid there is some fault in the lens mechanism. You will need to take it a local repair center or you can contact cannon.
Turn off the camera. Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing. Check if the gap is even throughout the camera?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gap looks fine. Would you agree that repair is likely to be v. expensive?
This depends on the type of fault. As there is no external fault on the lens then possibly the internal mechanism is faulty. But it will surely be cheaper than buying a new good camera any day. You can contact a local repair shop and can get a rough idea about the expense.