RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

Russell - just reading with interest about the problems with Canon Ixus 900 Ti, particu

Customer Question

Hi Russell - just reading with interest about the problems with Canon Ixus 900 Ti, particularly lens error, please restart.
Mine is rather old now and well used, but has given great service until a few days ago. First symptoms were that it wouldn't auto-focus - thought this was because my battery was low. Lens retracted fine after I had recharged. This morning, still wouldn't auto-focus and then got the 'Lens error.....' message and the lens is stuck in extended position. I'll have a go with the recommendations first.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 6 months ago.

My first inclination is to assume that a lens error is the problem itself, but first, there is one more likely possibility, lack of sufficient power. Remove the battery, check the pins or connectors in the battery compartment, and make sure that they are positioned correctly to contact the battery. Then use a q-tip with alcohol to clean and dry them. It is also a known issue that digital cameras circuitry can also become much more sensitive to the lower power level produced, so if you have been using the same rechargeable battery for the life of the camera (more than 3-4 years) then the power capacity of the battery may not be high enough anymore to handle the increased load. A new battery may be the answer.

Also, try compressed air around the lens barrel as an initial procedure since lint and dirt can build up over the years and inhibit lens movement.

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to EXPERT to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate or has provided a reasonable alternative solution, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HiCustomer- I thought about the battery so changed it for new. still same.I've found my air duster now, so I'll try that. Unfortunately neither of these provide the solution.
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 6 months ago.

Please be aware that resolving this issue can take multiple attempts. With some units that have had this problem it has taken me up to 6 or 7 hours of manipulation, over a few days, to make the lens move freely.

Make sure that the battery is fully charged.

Put the camera switch in the Off position.

Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing.

If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens, the problem should be easy to fix.

This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was accidentally turned on while the lens is restricted.

Next, if uneven, apply gentle pressure down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest.

You should hear a "click" as it pops back into place.

Try powering the camera on.

If the lens doesn't extend at all or it extends, and then retracts again, do the following.

Turn the camera off.

Take the camera in one hand and with the other gently take one part of the lens and gently move it round in a circular movement.

Do so with both sections of the lens. You will hear a "click" as it pops back in place.

Power the camera on. Next, try to pull and twist on the largest ring of the lens while turning the camera on.

Listen for a "click". If at first the focus seems to be off, turn the camera on and off and take lots of pictures, close ups and distance. Focus should slowly start improving.

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If the "do it yourself" approach doesn't work out for you and you need conventional repair, please let me know.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.