Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I own a Cannon MG6650 printer. It is connected to my PC via

I own a Cannon MG6650 printer. It is connected to my PC via a USB cable.
This morning (Tuesday 24May), for reasons not clear, the printer went into wireless LAN mode and, when I tried to print, the PC declared the printer to be offline. The USB cables are firmly in place and, in any case, the little light indicating wireless mode is on (the first time since the printer was installed).
I went into setup on the printer (and indeed tried various options for the better part of an hour) but could not find a way to go back to "USB connection" -- e.g. not after "Setup" ... to "Change LAN connections".
My question: how do I get the printer back to recognise a USB connection?
Thank you in advance for your trouble.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you tell me please the version of windows you have installed Michael?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Windows 10 -- to my great regret!
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ThanksCan you click the windows start button, bottom left, then type in device and click on devices and printers.Then right click on the printer and select printer properties.Then click on the ports tab.There select USB001Click ok and then try to print. I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please. Else let me know the results please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we're going to try your suggestions and will let you know as soon as possible.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Michael
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just tried everything. It didn't work... In 'Ports' the USB001 was already selected. The problem must come from the printer itself which does not want to go into USB mode.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
It should still work regardless, but On your printer, press the Maintenance button repeatedly until the LED displays: "G".Press the Black button to turn OFF Wi-Fi. then try to print
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pressed maintenance but instead of being able to press it repeatedly, get a menu displaying Cleaning, Deep cleaning, etc. Can't get to 'G'...
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, appears to be an issue with the firmware which would explain this issue.Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket). Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly. Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just turned off the printer. Will get back to you in 10-15' time! (Let's hope this does the trick!!)
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately, the problem still persists. The small button (just located under the on/off switch) still lights up in blue indicating Wireless LAN is active. Tried to print even so and received the message that the printer is offline. So, the problem persists.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, we will reinstall it and force it back to USB though as long as its connected it should be able to print over USB regardless.Go back to devices and printers.Right click on the printer and select Remove and disconnect itThen restart the computer and install the printer again like when you first received it, choosing USB connection as the connection method.Then try to printLet me know the results please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK - will do this but once I've logged-off the computer, I'm going to lose this thread with you. Will do my best to get back to let you know what happened. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, return to this web page and post a message when done and we can then continue.You can press CTRL + D to add it to your favorites.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will do. Hopefully will be back to you soon with a positive result!
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
thanks!
Richard, Camera Repair
Experience: Camera Repairman
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
very unfortunately, after having disconnected the printer and then starting again to re-connect has not worked. The Canon printer was not listed in the MG series. Logged-off the computer to try again and now no list of printers is appearing at all. Have to let this problem go for today and will try again tomorrow. In any case, I'll rate you. Thanks again for your excellent help even though the problem has not yet been solved.