Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have a PIXMA MP560. Yesterday the black ink began to print

I have a PIXMA MP560. Yesterday the black ink began to print with white streaks and then stopped printing completely. On YouTube was a demonstration by someone who seemed to have had exactly the same problem and had solved it by removing the tray into which the ink cartridges fit (I cannot remember the correct name for this piece). He then washed the tray in hot water, dried it and replaced it. The result was a perfect flow of ink.
I have done the same, but with no success. What further problem could be the cause of the trouble?
Colin Shearmur
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you please try replacing the black ink cartridge and tell me if with this it prints correctly please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have printed the test grid twice but there is no black at all.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, but did you replace the black cartridge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a full one
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you do the following please

Make sure that the power is turned on. 2. Make sure that one or more sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper are loaded in the Cassette. 3. Open the Paper Output Tray gently, and open the Output Tray Extension. 4. Clean the Print Head. (1) Select Settings on the HOME screen, and press the OK button. The Settings screen will appear. (2) Select Maintenance , and press the OK button. The Maintenance screen will appear. (3) Select Cleaning, and press the OK button. The confirmation screen will appear. (4) Select Yes, and press the OK button. The machine starts cleaning the Print Head. Do not perform any other operations until the machine completes the cleaning of the Print Head. This takes about 1 minute 30 seconds. The pattern print confirmation screen will appear. (5) Select Yes, and press the OK button.

Then tell me if black is now printing please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The colours are printing normally. There is no black grid, however, and opposite BK at the bottom there is just a rather faint grey bar.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, did it complete the clean though when you did my instructions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I perhaps try the deep clean?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes please, do this three times and tell me if it starts printing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.K. I'm doin.g that now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some success at last! The grid has printed perfectly. The BK at the bottom has improved but is not yet solid black. On the other hand the cyan strips have become quite faint except for the top one, but even that now has a white streak. At the first printing, all the colours, including the cyan, were good.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, try changing the Cyan cartridge and see if this improves please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done that and the printer won't recognise the new cartridge. i'm beginning to suspect that the fault is in the cartridges themselves. They are not Canon cartridges, although they were from my usual supplier. This batch is slightly different and they may be for a different model. I'm going to check.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, this is one of the only reasons left else a faulty print head in the printer

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've changed the cyan cartridge to one which is for the 560 model and the last test print is perfect except for the BG bar. I suspect that the black cartridge is at fault. On the box it claims to be for the MP560, but the numbers on the cartridge label itself are different! Having never had this trouble before I have never looked closely at the numbers as I trusted the supplier. It now means a quick trip to Norwich to get some Canon brand inks. I think the problem is solved but I shan't know for sure until tomorrow. Thanks very much for your help and patience!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Your most welcome.

I will mark this question to never close, so any issues, let me know

and please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit