Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

MG5250 stopped printing with no warning. It printed fine and

Hi MG5250 stopped printing with no warning. It printed fine and then on the same occasion went through the motions of printing but no ink on paper. Stephen has carried out the usual troubleshooting checks but no joy. Seems the Cannon printers we have so far have had a built in cut out period of around 3 years. Do not want to pay out for a new one if there is a simple fix.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Louise and welcome

To confirm, it does go through the printing process but nothing appears on the page correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you perform a clean of the printhead please

To do this, follow the steps on page 106 of the manual here

http://www.manualsprinter.com/manuals/canon/Canon_PIXMA_MG5250.pdf

Run the clean 3 times and tell me if after doing this you can then get it to print.

Let me know the results please.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you go to www.teamviewer.com

Click on Download in the middle of the page

Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid I am struggling with id and password ***** I hoped I could repair the printer on behalf of Stephen. I will inform him of where we were up to but am a little out of my depth now. Please can I confirm what expense I have incurred so far. Do not want membership. Kind regards.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I cannot see the expenses here as I am only an engineer, but you see it at the top under question value.

But try to do the instructions on page 106 that you see here please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have completed clean on page 106 check pattern blank page.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, so you ran it three times as instructed?

If so, try to print now and let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry.. will complete process 2 more times, try printing and get back to you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
completed, still no print..seems to be going to fast for the document text to be printed but as you have gathered am no expert.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If you do a copy on the printer itself, does the copy come out ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will have a go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, placed on scanner a document to copy. Went through motions but blank page produced.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

have you tried new print cartridges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think Stephen my husband did look at the cartridges all though the yellow is showing as low at the moment. Like I said at first I think he did all the usual basic checks..
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is the internal print head that has faulted. We have ruled out all other causes

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh dear. I doubt it is within warranty.. I expect it will cost more to replace than getting a new one. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to repair. Of course there would have to be tracked delivery as well I would think.
Kind Regards
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If the warranty has expired, it is not worth replacing with the cost of printers as they are now. In this event it will be cheaper to purchase a replacement Louise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As i feared... thanks for confirming this. Will have to bite the bullet.Kind Regards ***** ***** and Stephen