Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have just replaced the lens unit in a canon G12 it all

I have just replaced the lens unit in a canon G12 it all works fine except the focus over about 5m is bad, close up is very sharp.. Any thoughts? Thanks Nick.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That's a case of nearsightedness, basically.

Did you assemble the new lens unit? if so, it needs reassembly after adjustment to correct the nearsightedness.

'Nearsightedness' is basically when the focal length is too small. So the reassembly of the lens must address making the focal point slightly longer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Russell, Thanks for the reply, unfortunatly the lens unit and sensor come as an assembeled unit with drive motor etc so I cant see how the mechanics of the lens can be out. When I shoot a picture the camera thinks it has focused corectly, (it doesn't hunt for focus, just locks on quite normally) N

I thought that you had assembled the lens unit yourself, and might have disturbed the optic adjustment.

Did you mount the lens unit correctly? if mounted wrongly, that could affect focal length and thus 'nearsightedness'.

If you are quite sure you mounted the new lens assembly yourself, and if it just came from the factory or the parts store... then, if the rest of your camera did not have the same problem before this, I would hazard that you might have a defective lens assembly - once again, I will mention, "nearsightedness" - or doubtfully one that simply is the wrong focal length for your exact model of camera body. What do you think?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All good thinking but as the sensor is actually fixed in place on the lens unit I would think the mounting of the unit is less important. Pretty sure I replaced it okay anyway.They claim it is for the G12 and it looks the same as the one I took out.N

So... I haven't quite understood the case rightly, then. What part did you put on/replace on the camera? just the sensor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The Whole thing comes as a compete unit, zoom lens, drive motor,and sensor, it simply scews into place within the camera and ribbon cables conect it to the pcb. Canon do not sell these parts seperatly..

OK. Well, that assembly appears to be ... defective from Canon.

Remove it, pack it up again in its packing material, call the Canon department or vendor that you ordered it from, inform them that it is defective and you're returning it for another of the same sort, and follow their instructions on returning it (where, what address, shipping label to use, etc.)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, thanks for that, I was hoping that I might have just missed something..n

If it is well-mounted, you didn't, I don't think.

(If you are done with this case, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.)

Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.