Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

I recently bought a Olympus OM-D E-M5 II. It worked fine

Customer Question

Hi, I recently bought a Olympus OM-D E-M5 II. It worked fine initially but I just changed lens and the viewfinder and main screen is black. The menus display fine and the camera still recognises the amount of light coming in (it's set to aperture priority at the moment and as I move it around to brighter/darker areas the shutter speed changes accordingly), but it's as if the lens cap is on (which it definitely isn't!) and the shutter won't fire.
This problem started after changing lens. I've switched back to my other lens and it still won't work. The lenses seem to mount fine and its strange this happens with both of them. I've taken the battery, turned on/off etc a few times and no luck.
This happened once before and I ended up giving up trying to work out what was wrong and turning the camera off for a few hours. When I turned it back on again later it worked fine again...
Any ideas at all?? Thanks!
Category: Digital Cameras
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo attached of the screen.
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Remove the new lens and try to put the old lens back and let me know if you get the display fine on the viewfinder?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, as I said, I've already done this a few times and it still doesn't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to leave for a long distance bike trip in an hour which is why I marked this as needing an urgent response.To save time, just to reiterate, I have tried mounting both lenses (with both of these not displaying on the screen - please see photo previously attached). I have tried removing both the battery and SD card and replacing.This seems to be a problem which starts when I change lens, and even when going back to the original (and previously working) lens, no longer works. I think the clue is in the fact the sensor is obviously still sensing light (on aperture priority the shutter speed changes when pointing at lighter/darker things), but this is not being relayed to the eye-viewfinder or screen viewfinder.Please can you help asap?Thanks.

I am having a frequent internet outage so i will let this question open to other experts input. you will get an email notification as soon as an expert responds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am leaving for a long distance bike trip in 15 minutes now. Please could either you or another expert get back to me asap or this will all have been for nothing. Thanks.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with almost 30 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

Do you turn the power off when you changed lenses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I definitely always turn the power off.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The problem would seem to be electronic in nature and is going to require disassembling the camera to troubleshoot and repair by an experienced camera repairman. You may want to check locally for a camera repair shop in your area, or, if you need assistance finding a shop, please let me know and I'll locate one for you.