Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

My canon 3650 doesnt work. orange flashing light twice

Customer Question

My canon 3650 doesnt work. orange flashing light twice intermittently. I have just replaced the cartridge but still showing up as low on colour, now confused that have put old one back in. However when i open the front the cartridges now dont move back so the door opens ?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  carlday1 replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

Could you let me know if the printer is making any funny noises? It sounds like the cartridges may be jammed?

Could you unplug the printer for a few minutes then plug it back in and turn it on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have done that and no funny noises
Expert:  carlday1 replied 5 months ago.

Please could you confirm which light is flashing.

Could you also remove all the paper from the printer and check there are no blockages in the paper try.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The orange light is flashing twice then pause then twice, the on off light (green is doing the same). No jams I can see.
When I open the door the cartridges do not return to the hold and door open. This has happened since I replaced the cartridge
Expert:  carlday1 replied 5 months ago.

Could you unplug the printer and see if you can move the cartridge by hand. they should move easily if they don't move easily the may be parked, don't force them to move.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They do not remove easily, I have tried and replaced them again
Expert:  carlday1 replied 5 months ago.

Are the cartridges at one side of the printer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The cartridges are on the left hand side and do not move to the right when I open the front
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My payment has gone through for £26 however I thought seeing about you get free for 1 week then £26 ? I havent resolved my problem yet,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello ??
Expert:  carlday1 replied 5 months ago.

I can forward you to customer service when I have finished to discuss payments.

When you replaced the cartridges did they go in fully. It could be that maybe the printer control board has failed but I feel although this is possible it is unlikely.

I feel it is more likely that the cartridges were not quite in correctly and they are now jammed at the home position. When a print head goes home a pad pushes against the bottom of the head and lifts the cartridges and head up slightly it is possible that the pad has come up and jammed the print head.

Expert:  carlday1 replied 5 months ago.

The only way I can see to free the head is to disassemble the printer unfortunately this is a messy and can be a fiddly job.

It may be worth trying to reach inside the printer and see if you can push the cartridges in any more. The print head will not move until the printer takes the pad away from the bottom of the print head. I have had an instance with a hp printer where I had to manually push the pad back down but this requires taking the printer apart.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cant see that the cartridgeds will go in any more, so what do I do?Also with regard to the payment?
Expert:  carlday1 replied 5 months ago.

I am afraid the only way forward would be to dismantle the printer and see what is causing the heads to be jammed. It would not be cost effective I feel to have the printer repaired professionally as a replacement printer can be brought for around £40.

Were the cartridges genuine canon cartridges.

With regard to payment I will forward this chat to customer service and they can help you with that when we are finished.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
they are Canon cartridges
Expert:  carlday1 replied 5 months ago.

Sometimes you can have problems with compatible cartridges but as yours are canon I cannot see as to why you have had trouble with them. Is the printer under warranty?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure where this is as just moved house with it bought just before
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will this advise be covered by my trial so you can refund my £26 as I am having to buy a new printer by the looks of it?
Expert:  carlday1 replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry that i cannot help you resolve the problem. If you have new cartridges it may be worth buying another canon printer. You could always email canon and explain the problem and see if they would arrange a replacement as it is only a few months old.

I will forward you to customer service so they can deal with the payment issue.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please do urgently as I will need a refund
Expert:  carlday1 replied 5 months ago.

I will do it now.

Carl