Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

My Canon A590 has a problem with the lens - when I switch it

Customer Question

My Canon A590 has a problem with the lens - when I switch it on the lens moves a little then a message appears on the screen saying 'lens error restart camera' I wondered whether there may be dust or sand or something in the mechanism. Is there any way of cleaning or resetting the mechanism ?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 1 year ago.

Hi David. Welcome to justanswer.

This is usually caused by sand or grit interfering with the lens extension mechanism, or the camera's been dropped with the lens extended. It is also possible that the camera has been powered on, but the lens had been blocked preventing its extension.

Remove the batteries from the camera, wait a few minutes. Put a fresh set of batteries back in and turn the camera on.

If new batteries didn't work, try pressing and holding the Menu, Function, Function Set, or OK button while turning the camera on.

Can you access MENU?

Reply if still the problem is there