Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I am using the Canon utility to remotely control my Canon

I am using the Canon utility to remotely control my Canon 500d to take photos through a telescope.
I find that the when the screen live view is adjusted to suit focusing the shot taken by the camera is very over exposed. I have to adjust the exposure a long way before taking the photo.
Is there any way what I see on the screen can be what the camera takes ?
Robin Cusk
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Robin and welcome

There can be a number of causes for this

If you're aperture is set high (inversely a low number, f/2.8, f/3.5) it'll let a lot of light in. If you want to keep this high so the model is in focus but the background is out of focus, you could increase you shutter speed. the faster the shutter speed (the time it is open) the less light that can get in.

Also, make sure your iso isn't on auto if you're shooting in Manual, and set it to 100, the lowest setting.

Additionally, you can underexposing it using the the AV button above the Q button on the back . Whilst holding this, move the wheel on the top of the camera left, you'll notice the meters going from 3---2---1---0---1---2---3 exposure bar at the bottom of your screen or in your eyepiece. Moving the small rectangle left on this bar will make the images darker, which you can see happen in real time if you shoot in live view.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using my Canon at the prime focus of my telescope in Manual and viewing the live view image from the camera on my computer using the EOS Utility Remote control software.
I therefore have no control over the aperture.
I am able to obtain a clear picture on the computer by adjusting the ISO and Shutter speed using the software. I then focus.
However if I then take the picture the resulting image file is very over exposed compared with the Computer image. To get a correct image file I have to adjust the ISO and/or the shutter speed again, usually to a point where the computer image is almost too dark to see before taking the picture.
This is not a convenient way to work.
Do you have an answer to this problem.
Robin
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The monitor does not reflect the try picture via the telescope which is why you need to compensate.

You would have to avoid using the computer to get better results

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to remotely control the camera and image to avoid vibration and get a large image to focus.
I will have to try other software.
Thanks for the information
Robin
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

with the computer and this combination you will not get around this Robin.

Its how the monitor displays the image.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.