Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

Canon XF100 compatible CF cards fail to record. I get error

Customer Question

Canon XF100 compatible CF cards fail to record. I get error messages:
'Cannot record' followed by 'Data on CF A needs recovering Attempt to recover' This message will either come up immediately or after about 30 sec - 1 min of recording.
I have tried several cards, lexar and sandisk (highest rated versions) all listed as compatible with this video camera on Canon website.
What happens is initially when I take the cards out of the packaging brand new from the shop and straight into the camcorder they work, they record then when I take the card out of the camera and into a card reader inserted in to the computer I can transfer my files (useing the Canon XF utility). I dont delete the files using windows I simply transfer the files. I then take the the card back into the camera, re-initialize media to wipe the cards to prepare for filming agian and then I get the above issues and cannot record to the cards.
I have tried changing frame rates, reducing resolutions etc. I also then tried taking the cards out and doing a full format (not quick) in the PC in FAT32 file system then re-insert, initialize and still the same problem.
Category: Digital Cameras
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I should also add, I have made sure to set time and date correctly on the camera. I have tried leaving the cards in the camers for an hour or so swithed on before trying to record. I have treid using two different card readers, I am confident there has not been anything in the slots that would cause damagage to the pins on the cards. I've also tried most things suggested on online forums. which are mainly all of the above.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

When the camera gives this error, if you put the card back into your computer can it then be read and written to?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It can be read yes I have not tried to write. To write you mean drop a file on the card and see if it copies ?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

yes please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try that in a few hours when I'm home. Are you sugestin the card has switched to being write protected? If so how could it sometimes be able to record for approx 1 min and other times not ?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

or has faulted, but we need to see with this test to rule it out

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not understanding what is meant by faulted? Anyway I shall try to write back to the card and report back in approx 4 hrs time
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

faulted meaning not working correctly as it has a faulure

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's what in thought however I find it hard to believe that would happen on 6 separate cards. Let's hope its just a write protection issue
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can confirm it is possible to write to the card on the computer.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

thanks

Can you go to the menu, functions, Reset, All Settings

Once done, tell me if it then operates with the card please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I previously tried that already. I can confirm that does not work.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

It is the internal card reader in the camera that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Richard, its clearly not the internal card reader in the camera because if it was it would not work with new cards. I don't accept this answer as a valid response.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

there is no other cause for this, everything else has been ruled out.

And it can write once then it stops working, on all cards, as you indicated

Regardless, cards work, we know this and its not the firmware, it only leaves the card reader.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You have not even suggested that it could be something to do with what goes on when it is read by a windows system. You havent ruled that out. How on earth can it be the internal reader if it works with new cards. I just spoke to Canon who agrea with my statement that it canot be the internal reader as it works when you put in new cards and likely something caused by windows. What? I don't know and I don't have a fix. I emphasize my previous statement I am not accepting your answer as satisfactory.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

This is correct right

Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

When it is read by windows nothing is done, and note

I then take the the card back into the camera, re-initialize media to wipe the cards to prepare for filming again and then I get the above issues and cannot record to the cards.

Which would undo any formatting change.

You say you spoke to cannon and then say I am wrong yet they do not actually tell you what is right... Anyone can do this...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They have suggested that there is something that occurs when windows reads the cards. Some minor change in file structure perhaps? Something that upsets the cards.Let's take that suggetion aside for a second. And I go back to my previouse question: If the internal card reader is at fault how can it work with new cards?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Initialising is apparently (according to Canon) not the same as formating and so I suppose there is a chance it does not undo all formatting changes.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

No, nothing happens when it is read, plus as I indicated it initializes the card.

But this camera has no problem with content being read by a computer then put back in, as you probably noticed in the past.

The reader is having issues seeking where the sectors are free to start the writing and reading, new cards have the initial sector free.

But its up to you whether you wish to believe me or not. If you feel the fact that canon said I was wrong without giving a reason why or what is actually causing the problem, then I have no way to combat such a statement, as I said, anyone can bluntly make a statement such as that. I only ask you look at it logically and take into consideration everything else has been ruled out.

Again, nothing is changed on any device when it is read.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hmm.. To me the fact that it only happends after being in a card reaser and being read by windows is what would seem like a windows issue. Especially now as i think about it on one occasion i was not sure what cf card had beeb rexorded to so i had to read both to find my footage (both new cards one had footage the other blank but had been in camera) once i reinserted the blank one after reading in the computer not initialising just simply tring to weite to it from the camera the error ocxured again. So it does have a problem being read and put back in otherwise it would.of writen to this card.I'm not taking Canon word for gospil it just seems more logical at current.Is there no way to format the card to its original state. Ie. As you suggest to have its initial sector free? Using eg. A third party software?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

No, a format does that already in windows.

Again, if this was the case it would always have this problem on every camera all the time, which is not the case

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But none of this explains why a new card will work then. If a format 'does this allready in windows' then the card is in a as new state.