Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have a fugi finepix camera type S9500---The switch on /off

I have a fugi finepix camera type S9500---The switch on /off appears to be faulty. It will show pics when switched to the middle position but will not make a connection when switched to pic taking mode ----please advise and could you estimate the cost to correct this fault?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

What exactly happens when you switch it to pic taking mode?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
nothing the camera appears to be dead
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

But you do see the pictures in the playback mode correct? Once it did take before this problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i can still see the pictures in the play back mode
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, then it is not the switch thats at fault

Can you remove the battery please then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.

Wait 5 minutes, put the battery back in and try to turn it on.

Tell me please if it now starts and allows to take photos please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it works---well worth the money paid------so what caused the problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

It was a buildup of residue power so we released this from the capacitors and this got it working again.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Richard, Camera Repair
Experience: Camera Repairman
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well done Richard----you know your stuff----will click on the star as requested----all the best and thank you. Alan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Richard----It's now evening and I have returned from a day out----guess what----the camera has returned to not being able to take photos. I have applied your advise to the camera again but this time with on luck----please advise. Alan
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

ok, this is a pity as it means it is the internal mainboard that has faulted.

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying hard resetting it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Richard----thanks for the answer----it's run out of warranty-----What would your estimate be to replace the faulty internal main board?-----If too expensive to repair then I would look to buy a second hand one from ebay----please advise so that I can make up my mind---thank you once again for your answers----Alan
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

I would advise to avoid paying for a repair Alan, with the limited warranty given, it is not worth it. I would also try to avoid second hand as well if you can, in the long run, a new one with a proper warranty will always be more value

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the advise Richard-----will purchase a new camera-----All the bestAlan