nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Other
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

I have a Canon EOS 400D and keep getting an ERR99 message. I

I have a Canon EOS 400D and keep getting an ERR99 message. I get a few shots then the message re-appears.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 11 months ago.

Hi Stephen. Welcome to justanswer.

Does this error comes with all the lenses?

Turn on the camera and while it is on, just Open the flash card door and when the door slides just push it back. This will reset the camera. Check if the error goes away or not.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tried this no difference. Also the camera seems to have difficulty focusing. this is with the 18 - 55 lensTried it with my 75 - 300 lens, it seems ok on this one

Then the problem is with this lens.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do you think the problem could be with the lens

ERR99 is a general error, but often the cause of the error is lens communication. This could be for many different reasons. For example, if the aperture assembly on your lens is broken and needs to be replaced, the camera will tell your lens to change the aperture, the lens can’t because the aperture assembly is not functioning, and so the camera will not have any confirmation that the lens obeyed it’s command. The result? Error 99.

Try the lens on a different camera, or try using a different lens on your Canon camera. This way you will know if the lens is causing the problem. If the lens is the problem, you will need to send the lens to the lens manufacturer for repair.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your assistance. It seems that a new lens is probably the best way forward

Please rate the chat positively by clicking the 5 stars present on the upper panel so that I can get credited for my services. Thanks.