Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have an Olympus OM10 camera which is good, however, I've

Customer Question

I have an Olympus OM10 camera which is good, however, I've noticed a tiny black dot on the focusing screen near the shutter speed scale on the left. I've tried cleaning the focusing screen to remove it, but it won't go. Maybe this dot is on the inner side of the screen, and I'm told the focusing screen on the OM10 is non-removable, unlike the OM1, 2 etc. Not knowing too much on cameras, would this have any effect on photos at all, or maybe I'm worrying for nothing
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I find your concern quite commendable. Dots on pictures can be surprisingly disruptive of an otherwise beautiful image caught properly. They are distracting.

In this case, the ultimate judge of whether it will affect photograph quality is simple: Take a picture of a flat white area (a well-lit lightly-colored wall, for instance), and see if any such dot comes out on the image, that is not present on the wall itself.

I suspect that in this case, you have a bad pixel on the LCD screen, which would not affect photographs. Photographs in a digital camera are processed internally, and the LCD screen defect would definitely not be stored onto the eventual 'taken' picture.

As for a spot of dust on the focusing screen as opposed to a bad pixel on the LCD screen, that would not get onto photographs in the least for sure, either.

The only hazard is, you might have a bad pixel on the image sensor. That's what that test photograph of a blank white wall would determine. Since the dot is black, if it were a dot or bad pixel on the image sensor, it would surely show up in such a photo if that is what it were.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

(If you need more info, need to discuss this issue further, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.)