Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

My HF10 switches on but then nothing. THere is no picture on

My HF10 switches on but then nothing. THere is no picture on the screen.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Your Vixia HF10 camcorder appears to have a severe problem. But, how severe is it? When you press e.g. MENU or some other button that should produce a response, do you see anything whatever on the screen then?

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?

Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?

Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try leaving the batteries out. I bought the camcorder in 2009. I did fully charge the battery which I have probably had for as long as I have had the camcorder. No to dropping and no to change of temp and no to humidity or wet. Also no to grit or sandy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to say nothing happens if I press menu or any other button
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The battery may have decayed to the point where it cannot support the Vixia any more. If the charger plugs into the Vixia (rather than being the kind that the battery must be removed from the camera in order to charge), try plugging it in to the Vixia, then turning On the camera.

I'm glad to hear the camcorder has been well-cared for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It charges into the camcorder. I charged it this morning. I have put it on charge and switched on. It made a noise, the red light flashed but still nothing. Do you think the camcorder is beyond repair?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure whether it is beyond repair, yet, but at this point, tentatively 'No'.

What noise did the camcorder make? it might matter. Please describe it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a sort of ringing noise the same as it used to do when being switched on
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That's a good sign!

It got a little into the intelligent and active part of the startup, with the aid of the charger adapter. Instead of just doing nothing when turned On... so, the problem is obviously one of insufficient power and/or a defective battery.

Rechargeable batteries *die*, period. In 6 years, your camcorder's battery has died. It needs replacing by *all* the signs, period. I have great confidence that with a new battery, fully charged up, your camcorder will then work OK, in all likelihood.

If you need help obtaining such a replacement battery, let me know - and remove the battery currently in it and give me the info off its label, too, which would help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the battery is BP-809 7.4V 890mAh L-ion ...well think that is what it says!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again. I am fine now.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear it.