Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Cannon SX530HS that has started showing lens error

Customer Question

I have a Cannon SX530HS that has started showing lens error on led screen. Does this mean I have send it to a Cannon service centre
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

A 'lens error' is usually not a good thing. Many digital cameras have gone to the service center as a result, owing to otherwise unrepairable difficulties with the lens assembly and its action - which is delicately assembled and full of fine components, and almost impossible to 'field-repair'.

But tell me what the exact signs and symptoms are, please. It might be the rare case where a little careful effort can revive the camera.

Use the Reply To Expert function to let me know the details, and I will advise you as appropriate.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I replaced the lens cap before the lens had fully retracted. When I next used the camera it said "lens error, will shut down automatically re-start camera"

If you put pressure on the lens assembly, when you put on the lens cap before the lens was fully retracted, that may have disordered the lens extension mechanism.

Is the lens now fully retracted? Does it move at all when the camera is turned On?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The lens moves backwards and forwards easily from zero to 200x zoom. Its only when I attempt to take a photo that the screen remains black and the camera does no respond. To restart the camera I have to take the battery out.

The camera will require servicing, I regret to say. It isn't a problem with lens motion, not by the sound of it and the lens behavior. Just the inner parts of the lens assembly are not responding, it seems.

This does - looking back to your original question - mean that you need to send it to Canon repair, yes.

Canon repair can be initiated by going to

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

or you can call 1-800-OK-CANON.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank You

You're welcome. And, thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.