Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

My Pixma 5350 died, so I have installed a Pixma MG5751. It

My Pixma 5350 died, so I have installed a Pixma MG5751. It works except for scanning. How do I download the MP Navigator Ex for my new printer?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

You can get the fill software package for this printer from my link below

Click me to open

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have already done that download twice. Any mug can do that. All I get is "Can't create output file". This is a brand new machine, so I'm not about to spend on your account.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok.. so your saying you do have Navigator Ex installed but your getting an error in it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have Nav Ex for my previous printer, MG5350, but I need the version for MG5751, just for scanning. Copy and print work OK.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The problem must be quite upsetting, but some simple-enough things can be tried to remedy the problem.

Let me know a few more details please.

- Is the new printer connected by a USB cable? or is it on a wireless connection?

- Have you a Windows PC computer, or an Apple computer?

- At what point, or after what operation, does the 'Cannot create output file' message appear?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Connection is by USB. The PC is Windows 10. The error message comes up when I tell the download to execute. Sorry if I was a bit snarky, but Canon are annoying me!

I understand... this sort of problem can be frustrating at times.

A USB connection makes things a little easier.

First, go to

Control Panel

then to

View Devices and Printers

and select the *old* Canon printer's icon - for the 5350 that died - and then press the Del key to delete it.

Then go to

Control Panel, then to System and Security,

then go to System

and read off the

System Type

as to whether it is 32-bit, or 64-bit, please.

Let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have already deleted the old printer. The type is 64 bit.

OK. I'm preparing your answer...

Go to this page

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma-mg5751.aspx?type=download&language=EN&os=Windows%2010%20(64-bit)

and scroll down to, and download, the

My Image Garden

program. That will allow you to perform scanning.

MP Navigator EX appears to have become obsolescent, and is not offered for the 5751 model of Canon PIXMA - which may explain part of why you couldn't use that program.

Tell me if that works, or not, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well, I didn't download it at set-up because I don't need fancy stuff like that. So it took 10 mins to download, and now I have the familiar screen for scanning. The printer now says "Cannot scan - scanner is turned off - USB cable is disconnected. Codes 5, 156, 61 " Not so.
A while ago, the printer screen said "The latest firmware is on the server. Install the firmware update from [Device Settings] in [Setup], which doesn't mean a lot to me.

Does the printer screen now say anything?

When you set up the new printer, did you install from a CD, or from a donwload, or did you do anything to install it on the computer except for hooking it up?

We are making progress, and I think a solution is not far away.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nothing on the printer screen now. I set up from a download. There was a CD with no instructions, so I inserted it anyway, but nothing showed on the PC screen. But the copier and printer worked OK. Life used to be so much simpler!

I suspect that the full drivers, to make your printer function properly, were not installed.

Let's try this:

First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from both power and computer. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)

So: turn off, unplug, unplug your printer.

Go to your computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel - Devices and Printers, and remove all entries for your Canon printer and its series, by clicking on each of its icons (or entries) and deleting.

Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again.

Then, go to

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma-mg5751.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=Windows%2010%20(64-bit)

and scroll to the place on the page where it says

MG5700 Series Full Driver & Software Package

then click on the blue 'Download' button ... and so download the proper and full drivers for your printer.

Save it to disk, then double-click on the downloaded file, and do the driver installation.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your patience, Russell. We can now print and scan by following your advice. It could be that I made a dog's breakfast of the original setup, but it's all right now. I don't usually play the age card, but my feeble efforts may have something to do with my being 82.
I will most certainly rate you A1!
With my best wishes, Pete

Pete, that's very fair and quite honest. I respect that.

I am not about to blame you, though: you did the right thing. You contacted JustAnswer, and you took my advice.

Thanks for doing that! and for expressing your good rating.

Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.