Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

Canon Pixma MP510 printer. My printer, serial No JGXA91675,

Canon Pixma MP510 printer. My printer, serial No JGXA91675, which I have used for several years with no problems keeps reporting that the paper is jammed. I have examined it so far as I cam without success. I wonder whether there is a fault with the memory for which I believe there is a battery backup, or what else could be preventing it from working?
Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Philip Bowcock.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I note that you deal with digital cameras but made it clear in my question that my problem is with my printer. I presume that you can also deal with printers.
I have followed your instructions and turned on the printer again but receive the same message.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

We deal with all technologies here, but you will see my instructions were specific to a printer, nothing to do with a camera, so I am not sure where the confusion is Phillip...

Continuing on, can you remove the ink from the printer, then the power.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe the inside of the printer out. Once done, use a vacuum cleaner and vacuum out the insides in order to get any foreign objects that you can not easily see

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes, put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it clears the error please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No luck. I switched it on, opened the cover and normally the print unit will move to he centre so that I can replace the ink cartridges. At the moment it doesn't move from the RH side.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, you need to move it by hand, use a bit of force and it will slide out when you move it

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Still no luck – the answer is as before. A paper jam in the output slot but no sighn of any paper there. I can't see any sign of any dust either.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

It is the internal paper sensor that has faulted. It is getting a false trip

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I rather feared that this would be the case but had no means of checking. Presumably the sensor is somewhere inside and inaccessible without special tools. Would the machine work if I could find it and remove it altogether? Probably not. I will have to look for a local repairer as it is well out of warranty, and hope that it is not too obsolete to be beyond repair.
Thank you for your efforts.
Regards,
Philip Bowcock
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

If you remove it Philip it will not start as it needs to do a system check and it would fail this.

In my experience, if the warranty has expired, it is much cheaper to purchase a replacement printer that uses the same cartridges.

The cost to source a replacement sensor, remove this one, install the new one and then get a limited warranty on the work would far exceed the value of a replacement, especially considering the costs of printers currently.

If you need anything else, please let me know

And please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit so I am credited

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had an urgent need of a printer so bought a Canon MG520S which was very cheap. I required a back-feed printer but there seem to be very few around. Unfortunately they have 3-colour cartridges and they are very small. Two replacement cartridges cost more than the printer and print very few pages so it was a very poor buy. I will still look into the cost of repair as this one has given very good service.
I will deal with your service rating before I close.
Regards,
Philip Bowcock.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Thanks Philip and all the best

Richard, Camera Repair
Experience: Camera Repairman